Brilley with Michaelchurch-on-Arrow are Churches in the Eardisley Group which forms part of the Kington and Weobley Benefice in the Diocese of Hereford.
The rector for the Eardisley Group is the Revd Marcus Small.
Holy Communion Services are alternate months at St. Mary’s or St. Michael’s on the 1st Sunday at 9.30am.
Village Praise Services are alternate months at St. Mary’s or St. Michael’s on the 3rd Sunday at 3.00pm.
There are also special Services for Easter, Harvest, Remembrance and Christmas.
Please see the calendar for the details on all services.
St Mary’s Church, Brilley situated in Herefordshire on the Herefordshire/Radnorshire border was built in the 12th century. It underwent some rebuilding in the 13th century and was much restored in the late 19th century.
The old wooden Tower was rebuilt in 1912 after it was destroyed in a fire in January 1910.
The stone Font is the original from the 12th century with a wooden font top added by public subscription in 1967 in memory of the late Edward Norman Marrison who was Headmaster of Brilley School.
The Chancel still has its Baldachino, a canopy to protect the altar, which is quite rare as in most places they were removed in the time of Cromwell. The remoteness of the Church probably saved it.
There are several memorials to the Bromage family inside and outside the Church.
In the Churchyard are the remains of a standing Stone Cross dating from the 15th century with an 18th century sundial on top.
St Michael’s Church, Michaelchurch-on-Arrow situated just the other side of the border in Wales was built in the 13th century and was restored in 1869.
St. Michael’s also has a Baldachino, like St. Mary's, again quite rare, with moulded ribs. The central rib has four carved heads of a Bishop of Hereford, Henry IV, Joan of Navarre and a grotesque face which are dated to c.1410.
There is a beautiful 15th century Screen, dividing the Chancel from the Nave.